Monday, November 1, 2010

No More Chilly Lily Mitts


Thumbless Mittens
 Do not be fooled: these mittens knit up much quicker than the arrival of this blog update :)

I knit them in a couple hours, completing the second one on the way to our fall excursion at Pokagon State Park!  I absolutely loved this project!  I even improvised, adding little bows to the wrists :)   The yarn knit so beautifully and makes these little marvels look like pure luxury....    

Lily wears them well and we were glad to have them for our hikes through the woods!

What a great trip!  I can't say that Pokagon is the best state park I've ever visited, but I can say that it was a great place to be that weekend.   The colors, smells and textures that surrounded us were intoxicating.   We strapped Lily to our backs using the Ergo Baby Carrier our friend Sara & her mom so graciously purchased for us: best carrier out there!!  Lily slept while Alex & I held hands like old times :)   We had taken this trip 3 years ago with our good friends, Ben & Brooke.   It was bittersweet to go again, as we really missed their company :(   We didn't do much--hiked, ate overpriced mediocre food at the inn, played at the park, fished some, and overall explored the grounds.  Though we were only an hour or so from home, we felt worlds away from all the things that fight for our attention on a daily basis.  We were submerged in the grandeur of creation and our love as a family.   And we returned to campus refreshed, revived and united.  

I cannot say that we returned well-rested, though...  Traveling with a 16 month old is difficult.   We stayed at a cabin---the same cabin we stayed in with Ben & Brooke actually!  However, I would not stay in a cabin there again :(  It was dank, worn, unkempt, and a bit like a bad motel.   I couldn't sleep.  And when you put the little one down, it's not like you can sit and watch t.v. together.  There we were, in the dark, in a dingy room at 8:00 at night, not knowing what else we could do but go to sleep.    It's not like we could put Lily in another room.  And turning the tv on would've woken her up.  We succumbed, and simply said our usual midnight adieu: "Good night, Sweet dreams, I love you" & tried to call it a night as we curled under crispy covers and sank into a sinking mattress upon flat pillows.  [And let's just say I wished I had taken flip flops with for the shower.]  Not quite the relaxation I imagined.   But with the sun the next morning, we arose and savored what was left of the weekend before heading home. 
 

Lily's been wearing her mittens ever since & I am ready & rearin to go when it comes to knitting more!  I have two good friends (Val & Kristina) and a sister-in-law (Lauren) expecting their first babies in March & April: oh how I hear the knitting fairy calling my name! 

1 comment:

  1. Cute! And no, staying in hotels will never be the same again. I remember Justin pushing Malachi around the hotels halls in a stroller at 3 am because he would not go to sleep because he could SEE us. This was in Paris no less. Now I tape blankets around the pack 'n play so one of us can fiddle around on the laptop. I gets better with the more kids you have, which is why we now only get suites or larger rooms. ;)

    What is the knitting fairy making for her friends?

    ReplyDelete