Thursday, March 3, 2011

Thrifty and Thrilling

In reflecting on the thrills of motherhood each Thursday, I would be I'll advised NOT to mention my good friend, THE THRIFT STORE.

For all you who have the idea that thrift stores only contain garage sale left-overs, I say you are partially correct...

I admit that it can be a bit of a dumpster dive, complete with that musty smell, miniature carts and fluorescent lighting, but it is also a treasure trove for moms!

The hunt is largely what gets me: being able to walk out with barely used or brand new items for my Lily for a slivered fraction of the cost! Time and time again, I find what I need and so much more. I have gotten little shoes, jackets, Boppy covers, holiday outfits, toys, etc.... My all-time fave purchase was a brand new rocking chair cushion set in pink gingham, which I was able to use to replace the nasty cushions on a rocking chair I picked up from a garage sale for $20. The cushion set cost me only $5!

Goodwill, Salvation Army, local charity-based---it doesn't matter, there are treasures to discover! I can hardly bring myself to purchase items on clearance anymore, when I know there are greater deals at the thrifty! And many of these stores support local community building
efforts.

And so it is that I choose to enjoy and yes, get my thrills, from shopping at the thrift store! I hope you do too!

No comments:

Post a Comment