Sunday, February 20, 2011

Thursday's Thrills of Motherhood....weekend reflection ;)

I work and live at a Christian college. My daughter has the unique opportunity to be surrounded by truth and big "kids". Babysitters are aplenty.... And I often thank God for how he has guided us here. There are days that I love my life here, and there are days that I don't, but by and large, it is an incredible blessing to be in this place: Bethel, House of God

As a mom, through working here, I have been equipped to understand how to guide my child when she reaches her teenage years. As a wife, I have learned how to work with my husband, and as a believer I have grasped a greater knowledge of God's love through service to his beloved. And the journey has not been without it's bumps and bruises...

Since returning to this place, after having graduated and worked out in the "real" world, it was apparent to my husband and I and many others, that Aslan was on the move.  We had a sense that God desired to thaw hearts and open eyes in a tangible, visible & present way.   And I believe that this week, He swooped in and did that very thing!

On Wednesday, after Jeff Kling shared how God had gotten a hold of his life, students were moved to respond.  For the next 6 1/2 hours, students came forward to share where they have seen God at work in their lives.  They shared words of encouragement, confession, and testimony.   I witnessed students that God has led my husband & I to pray for for years, come forward to speak on how good God has been to them---to confess how they have fallen short & are in definite need of a Savior.   I can't describe the joy in seeing toughened hearts softened and blind eyes opened.  Students regathered in the evening for several hours.

In the days that have followed there is a bit of a sobering atmosphere on campus.  Students continue to gather to pray & worship, and share their concerns that this be merely an emotional experience rather than a life-altering exchange. 

And I can't help but think how my involvement in this whole thing has been affected by me being a mom.   Though I wanted to sit in the auditorium for hours myself, I have a daughter to tend to.  Thankfully, I could listen via campus broadcast.  But even that was hampered by my my daughter's cries for attention....  When we did go as a family to witness everything in person, little Lily was good for 30 minutes--that's about it.   I couldn't hop over to the worship nights and leave my daughter alone in her crib.  And then I caught myself in my frustration and "disappointment"....  Yes, I haven't been able to be as hands-on as I've wanted to be over the past few days, but I am here able to pray in solitude while events go on.   I have been able to treasure & ponder these things in my heart.  And it is a remarkable thing to raise a child in such a time/place as this!   I have all confidence that the same God who is at work in the lives of these students is also at work in the life of my little lady (and me!). 

I look forward to retelling the stories to Lily as she grows older---much like the Israelite parents were commanded to tell of God's powerful work in their lives to their children.   God works through the power of our testimony to bring people to repentance & acceptance.

What a thrill it is to be a mother today!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lori,
    What a wonderful praise for you and Alex. It was great to hear how many students were touched and confessed during this past week. I am glad you are in my life.

    All of Gods loves to you,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Revacherie! Right back at you :)

    ReplyDelete