Thursday, February 10, 2011

Thursdays Thrills

Today we took Lily to see her first musical production: Roger & Hammerstein's Cinderella is currently showing at the college where we live, work, and breathe.

I have to confess that part of the fun of being a mother to a little girl is dressing her up.  [Now, let me just give the disclaimer that I am not going to be one of those mom's that pushes princesses and everything that is stereotypically "girly" on my daughter.   I want her to be true to the unique person God created her to be....  If she chooses to love pink & glitter: so be it!  And on the other hand, if she chooses sweats & cleats, or mismatched socks & torn jeans: I will love her just the same.

However, that being said, I dressed her in a double tiered tutu and pink leggings with hearts on them, a bright pink cardigan and then topped it all off with a pink curly-cued bow in her hair.

I admit the irony that lies between the two paragraphs above....

But, as I reflect upon the thrills of motherhood every Thursday, I had to make mention of how much I love to get Lily dressed each day.  Those little legs, chubby knees, bloated belly and tufts of hair make anything I put on her come to life!  It's not the clothes that define this girl :)  At nineteen months, it is her mischievousness and tenderness that she dresses herself in! 

I look forward to the days when she can pick out her own clothes, to see how she chooses to reflect the inside on the outside! 

And that, my friends, is what I believe to be part of the thrill of being a mother!

No comments:

Post a Comment