Wednesday, February 16, 2011

What's New Wednesday

I have been trying to knit a scarf for my husband. I mentioned it last week....

And I have hit a wall!

The pattern is supposed to be for a beginner, yet I am experiencing difficulty. Go figure!


I'm hoping that one of you knitters could help me out:

The pattern is entitled Boyfriend Scarf, and it is in the book Knitting a Kiss in Every Stitch by Nicky Epstein.














The directions are as follows:
Cast on 56 stitches.
Knit 4 rows.
Row 1: RS k5,*bind off 1 stitch, k8; rep from * to last six stitches, bind off 1 stitch, k5.
Row 2: P5, *cast on 1 stitch, p8; rep from * to last 5 stitches, cast on 1 stitch, p5.
Continue in St St for 88".
Drop St row (RS) K5, *drop next St, cast on 1 St, k8; rep from * to last 6 sts, drop next St, cast on 1st, k5.
Work in Garter St for 1".
Bind off.
Unravel columns of sts of dropped sts from dropped St to beg garter edge.
Knit 4 rows, then bind off.

The finished project resembles ribbing. However, no ribbing appears in my knitting. I believe it's due to my confusion over the direction of casting on during the knitting process. Any tips to clarify that for me? Do I cast on to my left or right needle? Do I use a specific method of cSting on?

That is what's new today: a knitting hiccup

No comments:

Post a Comment